Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2009

The N....word

How many times do you use the N word? You know, "Never". Have you heard the saying, "Never say never"? Some of my more memorable nevers: "I'll never learn to use a computer." Now I say, "What would I do without a computer?".
Another one I remember: "I would never be a waitress". Too demeaning; too beneath me. I gained new respect for waitressing when we moved back to Corning after Dad died in '78. When there are few jobs and you have three kids to provide for, you will do just about anything - including working for tips in a steakhouse!
Then there was the "I'll never get married again. That one after two marriages and two divorces. Maybe I just got lucky the third time, or maybe it was because I was older and wiser, but Bud & I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary next year.
Perhaps my biggest was: "Muschamp will never get this farm!" He wanted to buy Mom's farm after Dad died. She was adament that he would not get it and so was I. A year ago we sold him the farm.
Now, I understand, the only thing left is a garage. House, barn, trees, everything is gone. Which I am glad for. I would much rather have them bulldozed and burned than have them slowly falling in - which is what they had been doing since before Mom died.
Mom & Dad moved to Adams Co., Jasper Twp, Sec 22, in February 1938 after being married October 10, 1937 in Taylor Co. and living with Dad's parents for the first few months. It was the only place they lived together; so it was truly our 'home'. Ron was born in that house May 7, 1940. (We other three were born in the Creston hospital.) Dad died there in May, 1978. Mom died in the Corning hospital December 16, 2003.
So why did we sell to Muschamp? Money. Deciding to sell the farm was the hard part. Once that was decided, it didn't matter anymore. So we set a price. Muschamp met it. Chapter closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment