Search This Blog

Monday, August 24, 2009

The Day The Music Died

Most of us remember what we were doing "The Day The Music Died"; The Day Kennedy Was Assassinated"; etc; etc.... (at least those of us a 'certain age'.)
February, 1959, I was a sophomore in high school. It was Monday morning second hour typing class before I heard about the plane crash near Clear Lake that took the lives of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and The Big Bopper. One of the girls in that class was named Donna and she was crying. She was a fan of Valens because of his song (Donna). That was how I learned of the deaths of the three upcoming stars.
The era of rock and roll began for me three years earlier. I was a pre-pubescent 13 year old when I went to see "Rock Around the Clock" at the American Theater in Corning. It wasn't the movie I reacted to, it was the song. I can't say it awoke new feelings in me, but it did make me want to do wild and dangerous things with those feelings.
I also saw Elvis in "Love Me Tender" that year. And while I fell in love with Elvis singing "Love Me Tender", it was a dreamy, romantic love sans the sexual tensions of rocking around the clock with Bill Haley and the Comets.
I came of age with rock and roll. Hearing certain songs will always invoke certain memories of that era. But I also relate to Big Band tunes from the 40's ( "In the Mood" is my favourite). I wasn't old enough to consciously learn the tunes from my early years. Did they slip into my sub-conscious while the Philco was playing in the background? I think I identify with the music too strongly for that to be the answer. My theory (feeling) is that I was a soldier, killed early in WWII, and then reincarnated.
I've always wanted to do a past lives regression through hypnosis to see if my theory is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment